Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

flowers for our baby

So, as briefly stated in my last post, I am currently working on finishing up my dossier, planning my next trip to Haiti, and, the biggest hurdle, coming up with the funds for the adoption.

I will whole-heartedly admit that I am not, by nature, a good sales-person or fund-raiser. And, for those of you who know me well, I have this somewhat-unfortunate fierce independent streak. But, my family means more to me than my silly pride so we are coming up with all sorts of creative ways to get money together. The adoption will cost around $26,000, so any amount we can raise will help.

London and I decided to make some pretty flower brooches and baby poppy clips to raise some funds for the adoption costs. The peony brooches have magnets on the back so you can attach them to a shirt, bag, head-band, scarf, what-have-you, and the baby poppies have a little baby hair clip on the back. The peony brooches are $10 apiece and the little poppies are $5 (see pics below). If you would like to buy one there is a link on the right-hand side column of my page where you can choose whatever style you want and add it to your cart. :) Please, tell anyone you know who might like to buy one!

The cost of our particular adoption is, shockingly, considered cheap for an international adoption. I remember thinking, going into this, that there is no way an adoption could cost that much. Where does all the money go? There is a link on my chip-in page to my adoption agency that breaks it all down. About one-third to one-half goes to the Haitian government and the rest gets sucked up pretty quickly. Completely ridiculous and the main deterrent for most people wanting to adopt. Hopefully one day they will be better able to streamline these costs for adopting families.

Thank you for all of your support, it means so much more than you could ever know! We love you all. And please feel free to share if any of you have other fundraising ideas (I know some of you are experts).

my stunning sister and her daughter graciously agreed to be my models

peony brooches (gray, white, mustard, or olive)

baby poppies clips (mustard, pink, or white)

5 comments:

Tonya Mae Wilson said...

I am so proud of you. :) Those are DANG cute. I'd buy hundreds of them from you if we weren't getting sucked dry by the adoption costs ourselves. I'll get my brain cranking on for fundraising ideas for you...

Amanda said...

So cute, I would love to buy some & help you with anything you need ( I love crafting :)!

Heather Anne said...

Natalie!
They turned out SO cute. I love the ones on Angie's shirt... those turned out super cute!
Love ya!

Sara said...

Nan- they are beautiful! I'd like to buy a bunch... how do I put in an order?

PS- Angie looks gorgeous in those pics!

natalie and london said...

Ok, you guys are so nice. Clearly I have no idea how to sell things properly on the internet. So, I set up a payment button through paypal. Please let me know if this works. You should be able to add whatever you want to your cart. seriously, thanks for being amazing friends! Amanda, I am sure you are WAY better at this crafting thing than I am. This was a shot in the dark :). Lets get together for sure

Post a Comment