Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

haiti trip #1.

Whew, that was quick. This blogging thing might be a bit addicting. First off, I am going to be breaking this trip up into sections. If it’s too long, I won’t even read it. So, there you go, I’m throwing y’all a bone.

I kept a little journal of this trip, which, for me, is a remarkable feat in and of itself. By little I mean the back of an old envelope that I found stuffed in my bag, but what is important is that I jotted down the highlights. I didn’t want to forget anything important. Like how freaking delicious the fresh mangoes were. I am actually allergic to mangoes. Devastating, as they are probably my most favorite food. The goods news is that all that really happens to me is my lips swell up like Angelina Jolie. Not a bad side-effect. But, hello, I was in heavenly mango-land during mango season. Like I was not going to indulge. Totally worth the swollen lips and sporadic hives.

Anyways, back on track. The plane landed in Haiti and I immediately began freaking out, in a good way. I thought I was containing it well, but apparently it was bursting out of me as the girl sitting across from me asked me what I was so excited about. Turns out this "girl" was Kendra Todd. Avid followers of Donald Trump and The Apprentice will realize that Kendra was the winner of Season 3 of The Apprentice. She is this amazing girl who is doing humanitarian work all over the world and is pretty much fabulous in every way. So, we became quick friends. Really, we got pictures of each other. She even posted me on her blog. So, I am returning the favor. :)

As I stood there, excitement bubbling out of me and onto the people around me, I began to realize that I had no clue where I was going after the shuttle took us off the plane. Not to worry, Ty immediately climbed off his shining white horse and out of nowhere jumped onto the shuttle, placing an "all-access VIP" necklace-badge-thingy around my neck and walked me out to the helicopter. Seriously, in the middle of Haiti, walking across the airport landing strip to Ty’s buddy’s helicopter with military blackhawk’s flying overhead and army dudes just hanging out. Hmmm. It was awesome. As we waited for Ty’s co-pilot, (aka: Ryan Daniels, aka: funniest guy I have ever met) Ty proceeded to tell me the bad news. The Haitian adoption laws state that you have to be at least 35 if you are single and wanting to adopt. Nice time to tell me, I just got here! It was the first time in like 10 years that I have wanted to be older than I am. But, after the initial let-down, I composed myself and decided that it was not going to be a big deal. I was supposed to be here, and things would fall into place when they were supposed to.

Next I knew I was flying over Port-au-Prince in my sweet ride with my two fabulous pilots whisking me off to the valley orphanage (or "creche" in Creole). I looked down from the helicopter and cannot completely describe what I saw. Buildings upon buildings upon dirt and debris all on top of each other. Houses which would already be considered shanties by American standards reduced to rubble. It was so sad. I couldn’t believe I was actually there and I truly could not believe what I was seeing.

It was about a 20 minute ride over Port-au-Prince and out to the creche. They had a landing spot for the helicopter and literally two seconds after we landed I was in the orphanage director’s (Gina Duncan) truck driving to go paint a house. Repeat, paint a house. Good thing painting houses is my area of expertise. My dad and I ran our own little house painting business for a summer. We racked up a clientele of... 1. Still, I really like to paint. Ty mumbled to Gina, this is Natalie, the girl who is hoping to adopt. Gina did not seem convinced and said something like, "oh yes, everybody says they want to adopt." My goal became vividly clear, get Gina to like me in the next 48 hours!

Already too long, the best is yet to come.....





Kendra

Ty

Port-au-Prince

Tent cities

The Palace

sad...

1 comment:

Brittani said...

Hey Nat, I think what you are doing is so amazing. The whole adoption thing is brilliant....no morning sickness or labor pains ughh! I should have thought of that 3 kids ago j/k I love my kidos! Ever since I went to Korea I've always wanted to adopt a little korean girl & maybe someday it will still happen. I wish the best of luck to you & London and will be praying for you both. Love, Britt

Post a Comment